Starbucks









I thought I wanted coffee, I thought I wanted black.
I knew I should have decaf, according to the quack.
So I went on down to Starbucks to drink some coffee there
and was instantly defeated when I read the bill of fare.

For Starbucks don't sell coffee, at least not by that name,
and a chocca-mocha-latté is somehow not the same.
Black's now 'Americano' and a large is 'Vente' so
An Americano, Vente, decaf please, to go.

Then they ask me what my name is! So what's that all about?
Is this the latest info that Big Brother's checking out?
so I said it's Winston Smith and the Barista gave a look
that said she was familiar with Orwell's little book.

But I got my cup of coffee although by another name
and thought...
No matter how we change things everything remains the same.



Written while drinking a Vente Americano Decaf in Starbucks, Basingstoke.