The Starbucks in the city
















I sit at my favourite table
in the Starbucks in the city
and I find the inspiration
to compose this little ditty.

'cause my view is of the doorway
from my table in the center
and I see the many faces
of the people as they enter.

Faces anxious seeking respite
from the misery called shopping.
Faces glowing at the notion
of a Latte with cream topping.

Two folk sitting  for the first time
holding hands above the table
where their other friends can see that
they have 'couple' on the label.

There's the teenagers who lunch here
perched up high upon a barstool
never knowing how the adults
wish their teen selves had been that cool.

And one man who has a notebook
sitting looking every lunchtime
making notes and watching faces
setting it all down in rhyme.