Watching












I like to watch the people
come to town to do their shopping
all the trying and the buying
all the starting and the stopping
and I wonder where they're going
and just who they will be meeting
as they're milling round like sheep and
I am deafened by their bleating.

Then I wonder does it matter
does it really make a difference
all the motion and the chatter
is it all just interference
just a random side effect of
commerce powering our nation
like the humming in the background
coming from the power station.

But the scientists have told us
that the act of observation
affects changes in the target
that are in direct relation
to the effort that's expended
by the watcher in the shadows
so the people in the high street
are affected by the echoes
of me watching through the window
and I wonder if they realise
that they're altered by me looking
as I'm changed a bit by their eyes
and my head hurts from this thinking
so I think that I will stop now
and then concentrate on drinking
before my coffee gets too cold.