That Girl














I was stood just behind her when queuing to pay
for my solitary sandwich at lunchtime that day
and though trembling with nerves and full of self doubt
cleared my mind, cleared my throat and then asked that girl out
The second that followed was a lifetime of stress
'til she turned and she smiled and then she said yes
My mind just exploded, my heart filled with joy
that the girl that this boy liked also liked this boy

Now though we'd been working together for years
the days 'til the weekend were filled with the fears
known by any teenager going on a first date
I was sweaty and shaking, in fact, in a state
But everything settled when that girl stepped down
from the bus at the stop in the center of town
Although I must confess my knees went a bit weak
when she reached up and gave me a kiss on the cheek

We were ten minutes late for the six o'clock show
so we missed all the trailers and I still don't know
what the film was about or who was the star
for that girl outshone everything else there by far
Then after the movie we sat in the park
and we talked and we talked while around us the dark
stole away all the details of that little town
'til the world was that girl in whose eyes I could drown

Then after the talking and talking was done
I walked that girl home while the autumn stars spun
and fell all around us like fireworks galore
'til the evening ended outside her front door
It's late now she said, it's the end of the day
The last bus is long gone so why don't you stay
My house is a small house, that can't be denied
But my heart has enough room for one more inside