I Remember













The first time I met you and how I was stricken
How your grace and beauty made my heartbeat quicken
Our first conversation, the smallest of small talk
The weather, the city, the ice on the sidewalk
Our first date together, a film and a burger
with both of us wond'ring if this would go further
The first time you said that you loved me, my heart burst
I said it too, but wished I had said it first
Our plans for our future as Mr and Mrs
Getting our apartment, moonlight hugs and kisses
Our September wedding, white dresses, black tail coats
Photos by the harbour, a background of sail boats
The December doctor, the trips to the clinic
Me playing the optimist while secretly cynic
and the fifteenth of Jan when you took to your bed
and that day a week later when I knew you were dead

The winter interment with snow on the ground
All the cars as they left without making a sound

Though my heart is broken I still have to say
that we lived a whole life in that year and a day
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long
Your singing has stopped but the song still goes on
The mercy of time will let others forget
But I will remember the day that we met