The non-persistence of memory










I still recall the way you dressed
in working boots and corduroys
A white vest 'neath your checquered shirt
the same as all the village boys
Except your boots were just size two
your waist was smaller than your hips
Your hair tied in a pony tail
a hint of red upon your lips
And then the final evidence
your walk that gave the game away
not overdone with artifice
but feminine in every way
And though your face was lined by years
of working in the rain and sun
your beauty shone out from within
for me you were the only one.

And yet although these things I know
I can no longer see your face
I've lost the feeling of your kiss
your smell has gone without a trace
And all that I can recall now
are memories of memories
the years have bleached the details out
and left them drying on the breeze
I know that you and I were wed
I know you left through death's dark door
and though I miss the life we led
I find I miss the memories more