Kneeling by the Camp Fire



It was late last night
and you were all sleeping
The camp site was silent
and alone I was keeping
a watch by the moon
and the stars that came creeping
past all my defences
and started me weeping

I wept for my children
and for all those I knew
I wept for the strangers
and the ones passing through
I wept for the living
and for the dead too
Then I wept for me
and I wept for you

I was very surprised
to find myself kneeling
A private obeisance
to this unknown feeling
And while overhead
the old stars were wheeling
down here by the camp fire
my spirit was healing

I'm not what you'd call a spiritual person
To religious practice I have an aversion
But Faith is a completely different thing
and I think you should go with what makes your heart sing.

(even if that is physics)