The One for Me



You were the one for me but didn't know.
I couldn't tell you, couldn't take the chance.
For your heart rested elsewhere, and the glow
in your eyes did another soul entrance.
And so I suffered silent day by day
as your happiness cut me like a knife
'til I could stand no more and ran away
to live a safer solitary life.

I didn't see you for a year or two.
I changed my life, my job, I moved away.
My pain was much reduced, I felt less blue
until I bumped into you on that day.
A well remembered scent disturbed my calm
a little kiss of cheek to satin cheek
a gentle touch, your hand upon my arm
and finally I found the words to speak

You are my life, I said, my raison d'etre
without you all is tedious and grey.
You are my love, my heart and soul et cetera.
You are the sun that brings my summer's day
You are the moon that shines in velvet darkness
You are a shooting star across the sky
Your beauty makes the greatest art seem artless
and I will love you 'til the day I die.

So finally emotions dam had broken
my pent up feelings burst upon your ears
I looked to you for some small sign or token
but couldn't see through rising floods of tears
But not just my tears, your tears too were flowing
we stood there in the street in such a mess
awash with tears of happiness from knowing
the answer to all questions asked was "Yes"