I see her still













I see her still, though years have passed
in my mind's eye she's still the same
That girl for whom my love was cast
that set my teenage heart aflame.
And though the gulf 'tween us was vast
I'd hoped one day her love to claim
until I faced the fact at last
She didn't even know my name.

I see her still, my next girl friend
remember how she held my hand
how on each other we'd depend
and all the futures that we planned
and how I could not comprehend
the teenage storm, could not withstand
the adolescent angst. The end
came watching all my dreams crash land.

I see them still, those other dears
romantic notions reinforced
those girls I've loved down all the years
this white knight that can't be unhorsed
through vales of happiness or tears
while single, wedded or divorced
the loving heart just perseveres
and hopes for love to be endorsed.